The history of the Irish Pub Chez Murphy's
The Irish Pub Chez Murphy's was founded in 2015 in the heart of Old Quebec in tribute to the Irish heritage of the city.
In the 1800s, Irish immigrants who were heading for the provinces of Quebec and Ontario (then called Lower Canada and Upper Canada) landed in Quebec City. At the time, the transatlantic tall ships could not go further inland than Quebec. From the 1820s, steamers began to transport passengers from Quebec to Montreal. Some Irish people have chosen to settle in one of these two cities. Most of the newcomers, mostly from rural areas, wanted to find work on a farm as soon as possible.
1815-1817: A large number of Irish emigrate to Canada. Several of them settled in Stoneham, Tewkesbury, Valcartier, Saint-Colomban, Saint-Édouard-de-Frampton and Sainte-Agathe (Lotbinière).
1822: A great famine in Ireland causes a wave of immigration to Canada.
1832: Quebec City has 32 000 inhabitants, 8 000 of whom are of Irish origin; construction of St. Patrick's Church in Quebec.
1844: 17 000 Irish immigrants arrive in Canada; the population of Irish origin in Quebec is established at 40 000.
1846: All of the potato seeds are destroyed by Phytophtra. Fleeing famine, 40 000 Irish people immigrate to Canada.
THE CELTIC CROSS OF THE ARTILLERY PARK
This Celtic cross, erected in 2000 on Mc Mahon Street, at the end of St-Stanislas Street, commemorates the tragedy of the Irish who arrived en masse in Quebec in the 1840s. It was donated to Quebec City by an Irish patron, James Callery, in recognition of the compassion of Quebecers for his compatriots.
Stone cooking has been used since prehistoric times. Nowadays, it allows cooking that preserves the flavour of food without adding fat. By its characteristics, stone accumulates heat, which reduces energy consumption and does not release any carbon.